Thursday, April 16, 2020

"Now Hear This" #7

During my half century of full time ministry I have asked this question of a multitude of good folks who seriously follow the teaching of Jesus --

"When you pray, what is the mental vision you have of who you are talking to?"

My purpose has always been to stimulate some thought about making prayer very personal rather than just reciting some words into the air. Most have confessed that they had not really given that much if any thought. Some told me they just see a blank wall, or a dark curtain or nothing at all. Okay so how about when you all someone on your phone. Don't you have some type of mental visual picture of the person you have called? If you are not acquainted with that person, it's a different type of conversation than with someone you know, and much more personal.

Jesus came to reveal God to the human family as "FATHER" as we have discussed in a previous post. In fact the earliest Christian attempts to create a visual piece of art to portray God are simply two outstretched enormous hands reaching down from the heavens. Since no one has actually seen God at any time, we might speculate what might or might not be appropriate or even necessary for our prayer life. I suspect when Jesus prayed to the Father, His prayers were very personal because He had not only seen the Father but had been with Him from eternity past. So, when He prayed, He was actually talking to someone, not just reciting words into the air.

WHEN YOU PRAY Matthew 6:5-13
  • "When you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of streets, that they may be seen of men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But, when you pray enter into your room, and when you have shut the door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly."
  • "When you pray do not use vain repetitions as the heathen. For they think they will be heard for their many words."
  • "In this manner (way) therefore, pray
  • "Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name, Your kingdom come, Your will be done, One earth as it is in heaven, Give us this day our daily bread, And forgive our debts, As we forgive our debtors, And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one, For yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen
 So, here's a question all of us should seriously consider, "Is my prayer life a real, personal, sincere conversation with my Father or only words I have learned to recite into the air?" I am convinced all of us who follow Jesus and His word, pray. Praise God if you have learned to make it a very personal conversation, although it may seem to be only a one way street with no one in mind of who you are actually talking to.


WE HAVE A QUALIFIED HELPER Romans 8:26-27
  • "The Spirit also helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Now He who searches the hearts, knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God."
Praise our Father for that divine helper who both sees and converses with Him on our behalf using just the right communication that we cannot even know or understand.

 In 2006, I was writing a book about hearing the voice of God above the noise of daily life. I was driving from Alabama back to Texas one day and Moses at the burning bush became a visual that really impacted me emotionally. I had been writing about that incident a few days before so it was so fresh in my spirit. I just cried repeatedly during that all day trip. So, that has become the visual image that I focus on when I pray to my Father. I see that bush burning and like Moses I bow before Him in absolute submission and praise. I also verbally thank the Spirit for helping me. God be praised!

No comments:

Post a Comment